Saturday, June 8, 2013

Book Review: The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer By Michelle Hodkin


Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


My Thoughts:

Plot- 
As you can tell, the description that comes with this book is incredibly vague. So I'll give more of  an idea of what the book is about.
Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital bed with no memory of how she got there. She is told that she was in an accident with her friends and was the only survivor. Suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, Mara must now try to separate her hallucinations from reality and try to solve the mystery of her friends' deaths.

My Opinion-
I enjoyed this book. I loved the mystery aspect and was eager to figure out if what I was reading was all in Mara's head. I really appreciate that Michelle Hodkin wrote this book in first person. We only know what Mara knows which is really nothing and that makes the story line more exciting. The author and the reader come together to try to figure out how things came to pass.

I just wish that the book focused more on the mystery viewpoint than on the romance.

As much as I hate to say it, I didn't like the romance in this book at all. The love interest, Noah, seemed fake and I didn't understand why Mara liked him so much. Sure, he's English, but he's no St. Clair ( from Anna and the French Kiss). Their relationship didn't seem to go anywhere and by the end of the book, I still hated him. For some books, I think I hate the love interest, but then more information is revealed about him/her and I make my peace with them. But this was not one of those books.

When Mara comes over to his house and discovers who he really is (MINI SPOILER: which is basically that he's not really a man whore and other stuff), I felt the exact same way about him and didn't feel any comfort towards him

I thought the ending was expected, and that there could be several explanations for it. But when I read the sneak peek of the next book that was included in my copy, it got me really pumped about The Evolution Of Mara Dyer.

Over all, I did enjoy this book even though I wasn't a big fan of the romance aspect. I am planning on completing this trilogy when the next books come out in paperback.

★★★★

Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment